Monday, August 16, 2010

Why do I want to stick needles in people?

I don't know. It's just a compulsion. Come over here, I'll show you.

No, I'm kidding. I don't really want to stick needles in people. Not really. Maybe just a little. But I want to be a nurse. I like knowing how other people's bits and pieces work. I want to be the first person to find out that you may have inadvertently, accidentally, totally-not-on-purpose gotten a toothbrush lodged in your rectum. "But I have no idea how that got there! Really!"

I start nursing school one week from today. I probably won't be the best nurse in the world--I'm not all sweet and snuggly and good at giving hugs. I kind of hate hugs, actually. But I'm smart and fast, so maybe I'll be an efficient nurse. Hopefully patients will appreciate my getting-shit-done-itude, if not my willingness to let them stain my nice new scrubs with their snotty tears. And even if they don't, at least I can stick needles in them.

Small needles. Tiny ones. I promise, it'll only hurt for a second.

No comments:

Post a Comment